photo Image277_1x1_zps92a4c832.gif photo Image277_1x2_zps82501ae2.gif photo Image277_1x3_zpse2f7619b.gif photo Image277_1x4_zpsbfd3d820.gif photo Image277_1x5_zps55244bd5.gif photo Image277_1x6_zpsa94012cf.gif

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Lemonade Stand Re-cap!

To do a quick re-cap of what happened for us a few weeks ago...

 We spent our morning learning about capacity while we made ten gallons of lemonade (2 5-gallon jugs).


We learned about concentration and that we had to make sure the lemonade mix dissolved. We also taste-tested to see if we thought the concentration of our solution was too low, too high, or just right.

We made the final copy of our menu (we had made a rough draft the day before on chart paper, but they really liked the idea of using a chalkboard "like a real restaurant"). I wrote the small parts, but otherwise... all kid-done!
 We decided who would work what jobs, what shifts. As it turned out, most of the students really wished they had more time to work.
 We originally had made signs for the lemonade stand (after examining persuasive advertisements- freebie here!), but the principal asked that we only sell to adults, so we didn't put many of our signs up around the school. (It didn't seem fair to advertise it to the kids who couldn't have any!) So instead, we used our signs to go around the table.
 We were BUSY. We had a line before we could even get set-up. Next year, I think we'll be doing most of the set-up before lunchtime, just so that we don't have as much to do to get selling!
 My husband was amazing. We were in between the time he was in classes, and the time he left for his internship- and he spent the entire morning running around town to pick things up for us, and then helping mix up the lemonade and helping run the stand the rest of the day. Not sure how we would've done it without him- and the students all voted that he should get a free cookie for his troubles.


You can see how busy we were. We had our lemonade stand during a mile run-walk for the whole school that many parents attend. We are a big school (7-8 classes per grade level, K-3), so this meant a lot of customers!

We even had some special customers, like the principal, superintendent, and the MAYOR- thanks to my students writing friendly letters to invite them. They were disappointed that Barack Obama didn't make it, though. We sold just about all of our ten gallons of lemonade.


We had also written business letters to local places- and our local Subway donated 250 cookies and 200 cups, our local BP donated plenty of large bags of ice, and our local Walgreens donated all of the lemonade mix AND a volunteer while the lemonade stand was running. She's in this picture on the right, and really pitched in and got involved helping to watch over our cashiers.


All in all, with the help of parents, local businesses, and our two guest speakers (a local entrepreneur and a publicist who helped us write a news release), we ended the lemonade stand making almost $350 for Henryville Schools to rebuild after being hit by a tornado.

We were even featured in the newspaper with a color picture of 2 students, and 3 other students quoted. It's no wonder, though, with advertising like this...
 

 
Haha- just kidding. We didn't put this one up, but one of the girls in my class made it at home from a Diet Pepsi ad. Didn't you know, Sofia Vergara loves our lemonade?

It was a huge success. HUGE. Not only did we make a LOT of money, but the amount of academic learning packed into the project was amazing. Plus, I had the kids write about it and got to read things like, "I learned that just 'cause I'm small doesn't mean I can't do big things."

I am so proud of the kids for being so passionate and convincing me to give it a try. I am proud of myself, to be honest, for taking it on even though it's the end of the year, my first year teaching my own class, and my first year at this school.

Yes, it was a lot of work... but if you ever get a chance to dive into a big project like this, DO IT! So worth it!

9 comments:

  1. What an amazing learning opportunity! I am sure Sofia Vergara does love lemonade.

    My Second Sense

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! What a cool idea! We might have to try this for our field day, since that will be when we're working on volume. Thanks for sharing!
    Laura
    Mrs. Castro's Class 2nd Grade...Spanglish Style

    ReplyDelete
  3. WoWzA! Talk about your Project-based Learning!! I'm sharing this with my teachers - thank you, thank you!!!

    Barbara
    The Corner On Character

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous project! So much cross-curricular learning going on, plus community involvement!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on the success of your lemonade stand! What a great idea! This might be something to try with my class next year - if I can remember, lol.

    Shelley at Rhymes With Purple
    http://purplepolkladots.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE this idea! I was totally smiling and giggling while I read the whole thing. That is fantastic! I totally want to find a reason to make lemonade with my kiddos! I actually just might.... :)

    Emily
    Tangled with Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! What an awesome accomplishment for your students! I LOVE the idea!!!

    Krista
    stellar-students

    ReplyDelete
  8. AWESOME! What a fun day. Love it all.

    I'm your newest follower.

    Lyndsey
    A Year of Many Firsts

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!