photo Image277_1x1_zps92a4c832.gif photo Image277_1x2_zps82501ae2.gif photo Image277_1x3_zpse2f7619b.gif photo Image277_1x4_zpsbfd3d820.gif photo Image277_1x5_zps55244bd5.gif photo Image277_1x6_zpsa94012cf.gif

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Pumpkin Book Reports

Last year the blogging world introduced me to the idea of pumpkin book reports, and I loved it! If you haven’t considered it already, do.
Class Photos 2011-2012 131
Of course, there are lots of packets online to get you started, but I began with the free one at SimplyKinder.I loved the way her freebie introduced the project in a totally fall-centric, no-mention-of-Halloween way!

I did create a book report form that went a bit more in depth (requiring my students to give character traits and what evidence from the book led them to identify those traits), but I use this primarily as a home-school connection project to get the entire family involved with reading.
 Class Photos 2011-2012 112Class Photos 2011-2012 119Class Photos 2011-2012 122
This is a great way to let kids be creative but also to encourage them to share books with their peers.
Class Photos 2011-2012 115
(Yes, this girl had a head-to-toe Halloween outfit, including some little spiders painted on her face. This little fashionista looked more put together than me every day last year.)
Some tips to suggest to parents:
  • Pick a small pumpkin.
  • Don’t carve for this project.
  • Work on it a little at a time, instead of all on the last weekend.
And for you? If your parents are invited to your fall party, have the pumpkins ready to go back home that day.
I LOVED this project last year, and I had a few parents tell me how much they loved that I sent home family projects for them to work on together. I can’t wait to see the pumpkins I get this year!
P.S.- Let me know if you could use the amped-up character report form!

5 comments:

  1. Blogged about them today. I LOVE pumpkin book reports. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so doing this next year!! And I love everything about that little girl in her Halloween get-up. Don't you hate it when some of these little ones out do you? Even on your "I just got this whole head to toe brand new outfit with matching earrings!!!!" day?

    Halle
    Across the Hall in 2nd Grade

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just assigned this last week for my GT students to do in lieu of book logs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. I'm sorry, Jessica! I just looked and I can't seem to find it. I must have lost it while moving schools this summer. I hope you're able to make something that works!

      Jenny

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!